Sunday, March 25, 2007

Nostalgia:

I got chicken pox when I was in Class 9th. My sister was preparing for her board exams which were just round the corner. So, I was grounded. For 15 long long days. I was made to lie down in one bed and forbidden to move out of that bed lest I pass the sickness to my sister. I was treated like an untouchable and nobody was allowed to come near me.

I had a strong will power. I refused to give in that murderous itchiness and after two days I didn’t feel a thing. Which left me all the more bereft because I didn’t have anything to concentrate on. A few mohalla friends would drop by for a quick hello through the window grills and tell me how much they missed me. My school friends would send me chits through my sis and tell me about the fun in school. I could only look on forlornly at the warm mellow world outside. Then my ‘best friend’ did what best friends are supposed to do – send me a lifeline. The novel Gone with the Wind.

For 15 days I lay immersed in the book not bothered about my confinement. I fell in love with Ashley Wilkes (unlike kids of today, I became aware of the ‘opposite sex’ around that age and like all, at that age I knew and understood only puppy love). I was physically transported to the open meadows and undulating land, riding lazily along with Scarlett. The mellow sun outside my window became the mellow sun falling on Tara and I could smell the red earth of the cotton farms. The optimism of youth led me to believe that I could also one day ride in such open meadows and feel the mellow sun. Now the cynicism of age tells me just how far away I am from that dream.

A few stray days of mellow march sun in this city just reminded me of those heady happy days and that deep longing. It sure has been a long journey since then.

9 comments:

Grey Shades said...

I know exactly what you mean! I get the same feeling when I visit my school... Ah I miss those days :( Say are you coming to Pune anytime?

Bips m said...

GS!!!! ya man...the best days were the school days!

No re...not in the near future but definitely again...i loved the city. u lemme know if u get to travel north.

manuscrypts said...

maybe we can beat the cynicism, and maybe we are too chicken to try.. :(

Grey Shades said...

Oh! :( well me traveling north seems a lil distant as of now! But will surely let you know if i'm coming up there. Some friends had planned a rafting trip to Rishikesh but it fell through cause... well... the organiser got married! :) Say are you on Orkut?

Bips m said...

Manu: Agree...we tend to get too much muddled with life as we grow older. Wish i could go back to those fantasy world days!


GS: Write to me at bips.m07@gmail.com. will tell u. Arre u should have come any which way...there are 1000 other organisers up here. U should have asked me.

david santos said...

Thanks for you work and have a good week.

manuscrypts said...

in your city... on mon, tue :)

Minal said...

hey. I had also read Gone with the Wind when I was in 9th and I still miss that part of me.... that part, which somehow believed that I would , someday experience that life with abandon. That part of me which held on to hope and lived!

But, now I know.

Bips m said...

ya minal...we did have so much hope....and so many dreams. i would give anything to get that kind of optimism back!