Monday, August 06, 2007

Arrival:

I looked out the plane window and saw a massive grey wall ahead. Even before the pilot could announce the bad weather, I braced for a tumble. The plane hit the first cloud-bank and shuddered and swayed. Looking out, a thought crossed my mind – that I had never told anybody that I want my ashes to be scattered in the snow-peaks of the Himalayas when I die. What if its now and they never knew?

I am not scared of death. Infact I welcome it. It’s just that I don’t want to die and be born again…..not in this world atleast. So I want to live through all my karmas in this life only. Strange situation.

I have never flown in the afternoon before. It felt great to see Delhi so clearly from high above with no smog over it. As the plane moved westward, we passed through huge pillar like clouds, mushrooming clouds as if a residue from a disintegration of the atomic bomb somewhere on earth, sea of white and grey clouds. A thinning ray of the setting sun caught the corners of the clouds turning it golden yellow.

When the plane circled over Bombay for ten minutes trying to break into the cloud cover, the sun setting way into the horizon came into view. Below were only woolly clouds reflecting the sun’s orange light. It felt strange to see the evening sun in reverse….with us above and everything below. It felt peaceful….very calm. This is what a soul sees and feels when it’s finally free….am sure.

The sudden drop, rushing in clouds, the tumbles and jerks brought me back from my thoughts. I looked down to see a grey world below. The sea was brown and the rivers were ribbons of grey. The greens had a strange darkness to it. The wet roads started getting larger, the evening city lights brighter and finally the blue sheets over the chawls appeared into view.

It was a smooth, perfect touchdown.

6 comments:

manuscrypts said...

point to ponder being that you might not have wanted to be born again in the last birth too... and wouldnt know that you have been born again in the next birth.. no vestibule between incarnations :) ... so judging by statistics, and assuming the reincarnation theory, it doesnt matter what we want :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome!

Kahini

Bips m said...

manu: there is. and it makes me feel as if i have lived forever.



kahini: thanks! u'll never guess how my first day was.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the rain. You can't say you weren't warned.

Kahini

Bips m said...

kahini: ahh...not the rains! not the rains.

anumita said...

In Bombay again!