Sunday, May 25, 2008

Breaks:

I don’t look forward to the future. I am comfortable with the present. But it’s the past that makes me stay grounded. A quick break back to Delhi helped me reign in the directionless thoughts and clear a few cobwebs from my mind. It’s that time of the year when the brilliant orange gulmohars starts fading and the sunny yellow alamtas brighten up the roads. The heat during the day was stifling but the nights and morning saw a spate of thundershowers. A few easy hours spend with friends at places where I had left a thousand memories; a quick shopping trip for friends back here in this city and a couple of days spend with my sister and parents…..all simply took away the fatigue that was slowly seeping in.

I hate the fact though, that it started pouring in the city just a few hours after I left it.
____________________________________________________________

I went with D and a few city-sleekers and first timers for a moonlight beach hike. We started the walk at the dead of the night through a completely empty stretch of beach, tree-lined road and a quaint Portuguese style village. The air was muggy with just a whiff of breeze here and there. But the almost full moon that shone on the water was utterly surreal and illusionary.

When we reached our camping point after 4 hours, everybody in the team immediately went off sleep. I and D went behind some rocks to change and when we came out, we saw the most spectacular sight ever. The silver moon had now turned golden and huge as it lay very low on the horizon. It blinded us with its light and I felt as if I was in a strange planet in a far away galaxy. I looked at the sleeping figures on the beach and wondered how anybody could go off to sleep on such a beautiful night. I stayed awake looking at the stars, the dark clouds rolling in and out, the sky lightening and the stars fading, the lone villager going past in his bullock cart….feeling a strange sense of awe, loneliness, contentment and detachment all jumbled together.

When the first rays of the sun hit the hill behind us, I drifted off to an easy sleep.
____________________________________________________________

This is going to be my first monsoon in this city. I am dreading the four months of no sun shine, fungus, water clogging and stinking taxis. But I am waiting eagerly for those four months of rain, brilliantly green hillsides, wet roads leading to stormy sea sides, sitting by the worli sea-face when the first dark clouds roll in, feel the sea spray on your face when it dashes against the wall at marine drive while getting drenched in the rain.

This will be my first real, actual Indian monsoon. And I am waiting.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me, the city during the monsoons seems like a huge picnic. Running to avoid getting wet, thunder storms distracting one and all at boring meetings held in glass walled rooms. I think everyone rediscovers their childhood during the monsoons. Can almost smell the wet earth after the first showers :)

And the night beach walk sounds lovely. I would've probably taken a long skinny dip whilst no one was awake.

Anonymous said...

write some more about the 'Portuguese' village - it sounds very interesting...do you mean a Goan style village?

EoM

Anonymous said...

Anonguy: Ahhh thats a nice idea....wonder why i never thot of it. So u r a bombaiyya..am assuming??

Exile: Isnt it?? imagine finding one right in the heart of maharashtra, a goan style village!!

bips

Anonymous said...

Very much a Bombay guy. NY's got nothing on us AT ALL.

anumita said...

The beach hike sounds really cool! Yes, the monsoons are lovely here. In fact, I love every season in this city :)

Anonymous said...

anonguy: NY????

anumita: No...not this muggy, sweaty drippy season!!

bips

Anonymous said...

I was referring to the 'Best City in the World' tag that has gotten attached to New York. Do they have bhel puri on the beach? No. See?