Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I Found a NeverLand!

This is dedicated to Kahini:

Almost a year back, I moved to this organization despite a Huge Stop sign posted by K. After staying in Delhi for almost 15 years (by now I think even the Gods would call me a Delhite!), I thought I could face anything! Now I am not at all sure…..
__________________________________________

My first conversation with my colleague on my first day –
C: Are you married?
Me: No.
C: Good, we hate married women!
I dared not ask what happens to working women with babies!
___________________________________________

Kv had joined around the same time I did. For the 3 months that she stayed, she was my lifeline. Coming from the same industry, both of us were amazed at the lack of guys in the office…we both thought that it was unhealthy, contrary to popular belief there. After 3 months, she told me – “I’m missing them guys” and left. I was bereft.
___________________________________________

I, like all my advertising (ex) colleagues have no qualms about using the hindi swear words. One fine day, I happened to say the K word loud and 10 heads popped up shocked. The F word was looked down upon but conversations about S—and B—bs were a done thing. If you have it or done it, flaunt it! The bolder, the better!
___________________________________________

S and I used to meet in the washroom and look longingly out the window plotting our escape. S was like me, a complete ‘jhalla’ – a total misfit. She was presented with a lipstick by her colleagues to cover up her “chaffed lips” and asked to do something to her “wind-blown hair”!
___________________________________________

The regular morning conversations over coffee were on the clothes one was wearing. I was oft told – “Ohh you are wearing this for the 2nd /3rd /4th time!” “This top will go with that skirt of yours which you wore that day” “Ahh, a silver earring!!” Omigod!! I don’t even know if I have a silver earring!
___________________________________________

All PA’s, apart from doing their regular work, were supposed to report to their department heads what the others were talking about!
___________________________________________

Ohh, these are just a few examples…but don’t you think I deserve a gallantry award for staying there for a year!

11 comments:

Self Writeous said...

Kahini + Delhi = Blasphemy :)

I remember those days when Kahini used to be AR (err) ... and tease Nikhil Chinaapa by asking him if he was Yudi...

Bips m said...

Haha HH!! Thats why the dediction...nobody will understand this better than her!!

n.g. said...

hello. misfit eh. remember what mr. john hegarty said? when the world zigs, zag.
you were in advertising? fellow ex eh. where as what?

n.g. said...

hi, yea i was a writer. but honest to god, i was one of those who actually helped the servicing instead of making life miserable for them, primarily because this account executive was really cute :) quit advertising years ago though, my last stint was in 2001. what do you do now?

manuscrypts said...

on tenterhooks in neverland? :)

Bips m said...

Manu: Its neverland to me now!! am outta there..haha

n.g. said...

so freshly out of advertising eh. chalo achha kiya chhod diya. what is neverland?

Tinky Toinkers said...

:)
you do. now, dont i deserve one as well? for hanging in there for 7 whole months?

n.g. said...

hmm well ive done a lot of things before and after advertising and while i was there too. if by 'contact thingy' you mean my email, its misterwrite@gmail.com

Grey Shades said...

All in a days work lady! :)

Minal said...

oh yes you surely do!
:)